UF Pharmacogenetics Pharmacy Residency (PGY2)
The UF Health Personalized Medicine Program’s specialized residency in pharmacogenetics is a 12-month postgraduate program through the UF College of Pharmacy’s Department of Pharmacotherapy and Translational Research. The program prepares its residents for a clinical faculty position focused in pharmacogenetics; for practice in health care settings, particularly those implementing pharmacogenetics; for further training; and/or for a position in industry or the FDA.
The UF Health Personalized Medicine Program launched its first clinical implementation of pharmacogenetics at UF Health in June 2012 and continues to expand. The pharmacogenetics resident works closely with the residency program directors (Kristin Weitzel, Pharm.D. and Larisa Cavallari Pharm.D.) and plays a central role in the literature evaluation and review process for the clinical implementation of pharmacogenetic services within UF Health. The resident also has an important role in educating clinicians about pharmacogenetics, and clinical responsibilities in ensuring the appropriate use of pharmacogenetic information in patients.
Clinical activities include:
- Participating in clinical practice activities in the Personalized Medicine Program
- Evaluating drug literature and biostatistics, particularly in the pharmacogenetics literature
- Preparing pharmacogenetic evaluations and staffing the Personalized Medicine Program subcommittee
- Developing text for pharmacogenetics alerts/automated consults, and developing recommended alternative treatment approaches based on genotype
- Producing written communications, including contributions to the peer-reviewed literature
- Participating as a PRN pharmacist within UF Health Shands Hospital
Teaching experience includes:
- Instructing students completing the Personalized and Evidence-Based Medicine advanced pharmacy practice experience
- Contributing to Personalized Medicine Program educational initiatives for the UF College of Pharmacy’s Department of Pharmacotherapy and Translational Research (journal club and seminar presentations)
- Lecturing in the UF College of Pharmacy’s Personalized Medicine pharmacotherapy course and participating in other potential teaching opportunities within the UF College of Pharmacy
The resident conducts a project within the UF Health Personalized Medicine Program, which provides important data for this program and helps to develop the resident’s research design, statistical analysis, and publication skills.
The residents will receive a $42,500 stipend paid by the University of Florida and compensation for PRN hospital staffing responsibilities.
- Approximately 16 days of paid time off
- Ten paid holidays and four personal leave days (between December 26 and December 31)
- Eligible to enroll in health insurance
- Eligible to participate in retirement plans
- Travel allowance for the ASHP midyear meeting
- Academic: Applicants should have a Doctor of Pharmacy Degree from an ACPE-accredited school/college.
- Professional License: The applicant should have completed a postgraduate year 1 (PGY1) pharmacy practice residency or have at least 3 years of pharmacy practice experience (hospital preferred) before enrolling in this postgraduate year 2 specialty residency program. In the latter case, please visit National Matching Services (NMS) online and submit a PGY1-exemption form.
- Interview: An on-site interview with presentation is required.
Applicants must register for the Resident Matching Program and the Pharmacy Online Residency Centralized Application (PhORCAS) system and submit the following:
- Academic transcript
- Letter of intent
- Curriculum vitae
- Letters of recommendation from three professional references with completed Standardized Reference Forms supplied by PhORCAS
- Shands online application: Please apply for requisition # 5543 (Position title: Resident – Clin Pharm)
Application deadline (including recommendation letters): January 15
Residency NMS code: 697070
This program is currently in candidate status for accreditation as a PGY2 specialty pharmacogenetics residency by the American Society of Health-Systems Pharmacists. An on-site survey visit and accreditation decision are expected in 2015.
After applications are reviewed, selected applicants will be contacted for an on-site interview. For questions or additional information on the program, application process, or application status, please contact:
Kristin Weitzel, PharmD, CDE, FAPhA (email@example.com, 352-273-5114)
Associate Director, UF Health Personalized Medicine Program
Clinical Associate Professor, Pharmacotherapy and Translational Research
University of Florida College of Pharmacy
PO Box 100486 Gainesville, FL 32610-0486
- UF Health Pharmacy Residency Program
- UF College of Pharmacy Department of Pharmacotherapy and Translational Research Residencies
- ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting
- Pharmacy Online Residency Centralized Application Service (PhORCAS)
- ASHP Resident Matching Program
- ASHP Online Residency Directory
- ACCP Directory of Residencies, Fellowships, and Graduate Programs